Where do I even begin? I suppose I should’ve written something akin to ‘Congratulations and Best Wishes’ to the couple on Facebook, but it’s too public and generic and everyone’s already done it. So I shall write things here instead, in my little corner of the Internet, where only a few of my friends and many spammers tread.
And because my emotions are lagged, my thinking unclear, and my time limited, the things I want to say will be in bullet points:
- I say J is my best friend, really she’s one of. There are four of us, three of us met in pre-school, i.e. before even first grade in elementary school. And J and I were classmates in high school, too. And we were in the school paper together. And though we went to different universities, we’d always kept in touch. And I’m really happy that it was just us three whom J chose as her bridesmaids. 🙂
- I’d say that I’m the friend that her parents know most. While we were prepping for the wedding, her dad asked me when my wedding was going to be. I answered, “Don’t worry. When the day comes, you’ll be one of the firsts to find out because I’ll be getting you as one of my principal sponsors!” He laughed at that and said that he looked forward to it. Later that day, I was talking to J’s mom and told her about my conversation with her husband. She said that she’d also be happy to be a principal sponsor at my wedding, whenever that would be. I couldn’t tell them that I’m probably J’s most untraditional friend and having principal sponsors at my wedding probably isn’t likely. But then again, I’m sure they already have doubts about me ever getting married, so I’m sure they’re not holding their breaths.
- My only regret was not getting included in the pic of the couple with our high school barkada. Or, okay, I didn’t get a solo pic with the couple either and I feel bad about that, too. But mostly I feel bad about not being included in this photo:
Been hanging out with these guys since I was 16, I think they’ve been leaving me out of pictures since then, too. 😛 Well… That’s what I get for being “one of the guys” but still a girl. All of my pictures at the wedding were with my fellow bridesmaids and/or the secondary sponsors. I was sitting at a different table from them, too. But it’s okay. Anyway, J is my friend, not because I was a part of this group. It was more the opposite, actually. I became a part of this group because I was best friends with J and during high school one of these guys had a thing for her. Won’t tell you which one, though it really doesn’t matter now because that was literally about 15 years ago and look! J is happily married to A now!
- Speaking of A, although we still aren’t as close as I would like us to be (Most probably my fault because I tend to criticize him too much so he has a tendency to avoid me, what can I say? I only want the best for J!) I have to say that there were times that he went above and beyond my expectations of J’s partner. He’s extremely patient and considerate, never forgetting to take me into account whenever I’m involved in whatever they have to do. Being perpetually single and one of J’s best friends, I tend to be the third wheel on their dates. A lot. And he’s never given me a hard time about this. Maybe he feels sorry for me, because anyone who has nothing better to do but be a third wheel to people’s dates deserves some kind of sympathy, but I’ll take it! Besides, I think he treated me to ice cream that one time and that’s always OK in my book!
- Case in point: The wedding reception ended at 4 p.m. (It was a morning wedding.) so afterwards we all had time to do other things. I along with my fellow bridesmaids and our friend L went to have coffee in Alabang near the hotel where A and J were spending the night. I asked J if we could hang out with them since, of course, in the busy-ness of the thing, we really weren’t able to spend time with them at all. She said it was okay with her and asked A if it was okay with him. A said that of course it was okay, especially because she only saw us a few times a year, but he and she will be together every day after that day. Practical and considerate, I would say. And so we ended up being their wedding night crashers. I don’t know about you, but I think these are things that best friends can do. And I think that J found the perfect partner in A, because he’s totally fine with this kind of behavior from us (really, from me).
So congratulations and best wishes to you A and J! I’ll always be here for you! 😀
(Especially since I’ve already always been here since your relationship started. I’m really quite proud of the fact that the first time A ever laid eyes on J it was when she was sitting beside me helping me stalk my then-crush on Friendster. Yep. Friendster. They’ve been together that long, guys.)