I’ve heard of setting goals before. I’m just not a big fan because I think there’s something to taking life as it comes and you can never second guess the world anyway. But I guess there are some goals that are easier to achieve, like reading goals. My friend Danes has a 70-book reading goal for the year and she’s already on #19. I’ve read about 3 books this year, and I’m wanting to get back into reading mode so I think I should set a goal for myself, too. But because I read at a glacial pace, I’m cutting my friend’s reading goal in half.
I will read 35 books this year.
There. That’s my goal. And it doesn’t matter too much what kind of books they are, or if they’re a re-read. My point really is to watch less TV and get back into reading. It’s difficult for some people to concentrate on a book, and I’m no exception. As much as I say that I love words, it is very easy for me to get bored with books. Especially when the topic’s not so interesting. Like non-fiction. Or when there are no pictures. Haha! I’m kidding. I actually get bored with comic books just as easily as normal books. I mean, when they’re not that interesting. Of course, when they are amazing books, I don’t get bored at all and will even drown out all the noises of the world so I can immerse myself in the story.
Anyway, here are the books I’ve finished so far, and hopefully I’ll add more and more to this list until the list hits 35, by December 31, 2012:
- Dancing at Midnight – Julia Quinn
- The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
- Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins
- Fifty Shades of Grey* – E L James
- Mockingjay – Suzanne Collins
- Ready Player One – Ernest Cline
I’ll transfer these to the above list once I finish them. Hopefully I can do it soon.
- The Devotion of Suspect X – Keigo Higashino
* Full disclosure: I really only read about 60% of this book because most of it was boring, and the parts that weren’t “boring” completely grossed me out. Also, I only read it to see what all the fuss was about, and just like Twilight, it so doesn’t deserve all the attention it gets. *sigh*
Updates on this list can be found here.